1. (particle) exactly, precisely - an intensifier which follows the word it modifies.
Ahakoa kāore i matatau rawa ia ki te kōrero Māori ā-kīwaha, i tua atu i te reo ā-tuhi, i kaha pū tonu a Pat ki te whakaū i te reo ā-waha, me ngā tikanga Māori anō hoki (TTR 2000:81). / Although she was not very fluent in colloquial Māori, Pat placed strong emphasis on the spoken as well as the written language and on cultural practices.
(Te Kōhure Textbook (Ed. 2): 181;)
2. (particle) precise, very, exact - when following a noun.
Ko te kāinga pū tēnei (W 1971:300). / This is the exact home.
3. (particle) completely, absolutely, very.
He hoa taupiri, he hoa pono pū a Toka nōku (HJ 2015:96). / Toka is an intimate and very close friend of mine.
4. (verb) (-hia) to originate.
5. (noun) origin, source, cause, root, base, foundation, letter (alphabet), centre, core, hub.
Ko Hawaiki ko te pū o ngā mea katoa (W 1971:300). / Hawaiki is the origin of everything.