Found 9 matches
1. (noun) ancestors, grandparents - plural form of tipuna and the eastern dialect variation of tūpuna.
Nā Mahuta te kupu ki te taina, mō te kākahu kanukanu o ō rāua tīpuna. Māku e tāpiri atu tēnei, kāore he mate, e Waikato, ki te kānihitia e koe ngā pakaru o te kākahu nā, hei whāriki mōu ā kō ake nei (TAH 18:19). / Mahuta suggestion to his younger brother concerning their ancestors' tattered cloak. I will add this, no misfortune will befall you, Waikato, if you patch up the torn cloak, as a mat for you in the future.
1. (noun) ancestor, grandparent, grandfather, grandmother - singular form of tīpuna and the eastern dialect variation of tupuna.
E kore au e kōrero he toa tōku tipuna ki te riri (TTT 1/9/1931:31). / I would never say that my ancestor was brave in battle.
tīpuna tāne Play
1. (noun) grandfathers, grand-uncles, great-uncles, male ancestors - the eastern dialect form of tūpuna tāne and plural form of tipuna tāne.
Kātahi anō ka tuku te wahine ariki, te tāne ariki me te tamaiti ariki ki raro o te paparoa, ka whakarewaia mai te ua o ngā kahu o te paparoa, ka mauria e ngā mātua tāne ranei, e ngā tīpuna tāne rānei, ka tīmata te hoki ki te kāinga (JPS 1929:266). / The highborn woman, husband and child now moved under the paparoa, the garments were lifted by the collars and carried away by the male parents or male grandparents, and the return to the village commenced.
whare tipuna Play
1. (noun) ancestral house.
O ngā mahi katoa i mahia e Eruera mō te marae o Kōkōhīnau, ko tētahi i tutū ai te puehu, ko te tapahanga i te kūaha ki te tūngaroa o te whare tipuna, o Ōruataupare (EM 2002:81). / Of all the things done by Eruera for Kōkōhīnau marae, the most contentious one was the cutting of the door in the back wall of the ancestral house, Ōruataupare.
tipuna tāne Play
1. (noun) male ancestor, grandfather, great grandfather, forefather.
Ko ngā kāinga noho o ōna mātua me tōna tipuna tāne, me Muretū, ko Te Uretā, ko Waka-ā-pāua, me Wharehanga (TTR 1990:24). / Her parents and her grandfather, Muretū, lived at Te Uretā, Waka-ā-pāua and Wharehanga.
1. (noun) ancestor, grandparent - western dialect variation of tipuna.
He uri whakaheke ia nō Rāhiri, he tino tupuna nō ngā iwi katoa o Te Tai Tokerau (TTR 1996:41). / He was a direct descendant of Rāhiri, an important ancestor of all Tai Tokerau tribes.