Found 21 matches
1. (noun) yellow-eyed penguin, Megadyptes antipodes - adult has a band of yellow feathers starting at the eye and encircling the back of the head, and slate-grey underparts.
Tapaina ai te hoiho mō tana tangi, te pokotiwha mō tōna koukou kōwhai me ōna tukemata tāhei, ko te kororā mō tana tangi (Te Ara 2012). / The yellow-eyed penguin was named for its call, the Fiordland crested penguin for its yellow crest and eyebrow stripes and the blue penguin for its call.
(Te Pihinga Textbook (Ed. 2): 19-20; Te Māhuri Study Guide (Ed. 1): 24;)
Audio courtesy of Viking Sevenseas Ltd.
reihi hōiho Play
1. (loan) (noun) horse racing, racehorse.
Anā te hē ko te haere ki ngā reihi hōiho petipeti ai, haurangi ai (TP 9/1903:4). / But the fault is in going to horse races to gamble and get drunk.
whakataetae hōiho Play
1. (loan) (noun) equestrian event, gymkhana, riding competition.
He wahine tau a Hēni ki te eke hōiho, whai hoki i ngā mahi whakakite, whakataetae hōiho (TTR 1998:227). / Hēni was a skilled horsewoman and competed in gymkhanas.
hōiho uwha Play
1. (loan) (noun) mare.
I tua atu i ēnei tohu ka tae mai he hōiho uwha me te kūao, te utu mō ētahi whenua i hokona (TTR 1990:58). / As well as these awards was a mare and foal, as payment for some land that was sold.
eke hōiho Play
1. (loan) horse riding, horsemanship.
He māia taua tangata ki te eke hōiho, he tohunga hoki ki te whiu i te reti (MM 25/8/1853:4). / That man was a brave horseman and an expert at throwing a lasso.
1. (noun) rocking horse.
purei hōiho Play
1. (loan) (noun) horse race, horse racing, races.
Ka tū te purei hōiho i Te Pakipaki i te 24 o Tīhema 1878 (TW 19/10/1878:524). / Horse races will take place at Pakipaki on 24th December, 1878.
hōiho nāti Play
1. (loan) (noun) roaming horse, brumby - a tough mixed breed, including Clydesdales and thoroughbreds, found on the East Coast and associated with the Ngāti Porou tribe. They have a sleepy disposition, and are relaxed but intelligent.
He hōiho nāti anake te hōiho ka ora i te hau, ā, i te pou taiapa, ahakoa ngaro tōna rangatira mō te wiki, ki te hoki mai ia e tū tonu ana tōna hōiho nāti (TWK 6:29). / A 'hōiho nāti' is the only horse that can live in the wind, at a fence post, and even if its owner disappears for a week, when he returns his 'hōiho nāti' will still be standing there.
hōiho tarapēke Play
1. (loan) (noun) pack horse.
Kei ngā awatea he mea mau e ia tētahi pouaka nui ki runga i te hōiho tarapēke here ai (TTR 1996:176). / By day he carried a large box strapped onto a pack-horse.
hōiho poka Play
1. (noun) gelding - a castrated male horse.
He hōiho poka, he whero ā-pango, he tiwha te rae, 14 ringa te tiketike, kāhore he parani e kitea (TW 20/11/1875:376). / A bay gelding with a spot on the forehead, 14 hands high with no visible brand.
whakarawe hōiho Play
1. (noun) saddlery, horse equipment.
Koia nei tōku ingoa: J. Pauihi, kaihanga tera, kara, me ngā whakarawe hōiho (TW 24/12/1875:443). / This is my name: J. Pauihi, maker of saddles, collars and other saddlery.