2. (verb) (-na) to look after, nurse, care, protect, conserve, save (computer).
3. (verb) (-na) to have custody of.
Me haere tonu rātou ki te kōti, arā te Kōti Whānau, ki te tono mō tētahi pepa ki te hiahia rātou ki te tiaki tonu i ngā tamariki mō ngā rā katoa (RT 2013:80). / They must go to court, that is to the Family Court, to request a form if they wish to have full-time custody of the children.
4. (verb) (-na) to hold in trust, administer for others.
Ka kaha kē nei te āwhina a Meihana i te whānau o tana wahine, o Kahu, tiaki hoki i ō rātou pānga whenua i te poraka o Reureu, me tana tiaki, whakanui atu hoki i te marae o Te Hiiri (TTR 1998:32). / Mason unstintingly assisted members of his wife, Kahu's, family in managing their interests in the Reureu block and in maintaining and extending Te Hiiri marae.
1. (noun) parenting agreement, protection of children agreement.
1. (noun) circumstance of guarding, protection, preservation - nominalised form of tiaki.
Me tono ia ki ngā mema kia āta whakaaro rātou ki tēnei tikanga nui, arā te tiakanga o ngā ngāherehere, me ngā hē e tupu mai ana i runga i te mahi whakapau kau i aua ngāherehere (TWMNT 28/7/1874:183). / He must ask the members to think carefully about this important issue, that is the preservation of the forests, and to the injurious effects of destroying them.
See also tiaki