1. (noun) summit, top of a hill, resting place (on a hill), brow of a hill, level, grade.
2. (noun) standards of speech.
Tae noa hoki tōna pai ki te purei i te piana i ngā hui whānau me tana kaha ki te pupuri i te taumata kōrero i te reo Māori me te reo Pākehā (TTR 2000:65). / Her attributes included playing the piano at family gatherings and maintaining standards of speech in both Māori and English.
1. (modifier) remarkable, extraordinary, notable, outstanding - of people.
Waipapa Taumata Rau
1. (noun) University of Auckland.
1. (1922-2002) Ngāti Awa; teacher and expert speaker and writer of Māori. Editor of numerous publications, including Ngā Tāngata Taumata Rau (Volume 1) and the Māori section of the Historical Atlas of New Zealand. One of the first commissioners of Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori. Awarded a QSM in 1991.